Candidates for membership into The Rotary Club of Frederick must be proposed or “sponsored” into the fellowship by two members in good standing. Potential members must be adults (aged 21 or older), persons of good character, who have good business and professional reputations. Candidates:
- Have their places of business, employment, or residence in Frederick or the surrounding area.
- Are a sole proprietor, partner, corporate officer or manager of a recognized business.
- Hold a position of influence or authority in a business, branch or agenc
- Are retired from any position listed in (a) and (b) above.
- Have demonstrated volunteer service and community commitment
Note: Because Rotary demands active participation from all members, candidates for membership are typically not members of other service clubs.
Especially for Sponsors:
- The person you are proposing for membership should attend a meeting or two to get an idea of how the club operates.
- Sponsors pay for the prospective member’s lunch, introduce him or her to other members informally, and to the group at large during the “Guests of Rotarians” time. (Please make your guest as comfortable as possible by not identifying them as someone “who is joining Rotary.” We prefer they enjoy the meeting on their own terms without any expectation that they will apply for membership.)
- Download a 2020-21 Membership Application and read “Expectations and Obligations for Members.”
- Review expectations and obligations with your potential member. If both of you feel the club is a good fit for them, fill out the application together. You will need at least one co-sponsor; two co-sponsors if you are proposing a member of your own family.
- Email the completed application to the Chair of the Membership Development Committee for review.