On August 12, 1920, Downtown Frederick merchant Charles C. Carty invited a group of local businessmen to his furniture store on East Patrick Street to discuss chartering a Rotary club. All eleven men in attendance voted unanimously to become charter members of The Rotary Club of Frederick. Current Rotarian and Past President Nancy Motter Thrasher’s grandfather Guy K. Motter was drafted as the Club’s first president. Later that year, on October 28th, the club received their charter from Rotary International, and held its first official meeting at the New City Hotel at 31 West Patrick Street in Court Square, now the Francis Scott Key Apartments.
The club’s first service project was to co-author and urge passage of an ordinance for Frederick City to ensure that milk being sold had been inspected by a bacteriologist and certified as safe. During the 1920s, the club supported measures to combat bootlegging on the South Market Street Bridge and the paving of Patrick and Market Streets. Members established a strong bond with Frederick Hospital’s leadership, providing funding and additional support for its expansion and renovation. This partnership has continued to this day, reflected most recently in the club’s $100,000 commitment to the hospital-sponsored community dental clinic for patients in need.
Today, The Rotary Club of Frederick is the largest Rotary Club in its district, creating and overseeing hundreds of service projects at home and abroad. From single-day events to multi-year signature projects, the Rotary Club of Frederick has created a legacy of community support that is well-known throughout the region.